Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Mom Update

Hi Everyone,

I know it has been awhile since I have been able to give you an update. I have finally found a few minutes. There has really been no change in mom's condition besides being extremely weak and tired. She really has to be helped to do the littlest of tasks.

This past weekend the ENTIRE family went camping at Hickory Sh0res Resort in Carlyle. Our good friends Bruce and Bev Lewis were nice enough to pull their camper there so that my mom would be comfortable in her own camper. She was never alone and was able to spend time individually with sisters, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles as well as her children and grandchildren.

My Uncle Scott was kind enough to go around the campground and find a golf cart to rent out for the entire weekend so she did not have to walk. (That is very tiring for her) There was also a hammock there that she would lay in and sit back and watch all of the activity around her. One time when I was sitting beside her she told me she was just soaking it all in.

For some time now my mom told me how she would give anything to visit the beach again. Well on Saturday we took her to the beach. We set up her hammock and an awning on the sand and she was able to watch the sailboats and the waves crash on the sand. Although it was not the ocean, it was something I will never forget.

The weekend wore her out, but I know that it is something that everyone in my family will forever remember.

It is really hard to see her so helpless, but I cherish the fact that I am able to spend this time with her right now. Thank you for continuing to pray for her. I will try not to stay out of the loop so long next time.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda- I found your blog a month or so ago. Just wanted to know that I'm praying for your mom and your family. Sounds like you all had a beautiful weekend together. Love the pics of your little guy- he's adorable.
Courtney

Jamee said...

I am glad you all had a fun time, I have thought about your mom and family all weekend. Keep us posted

DeAnn said...

Hello,
It's good to hear that your Mom as well as the rest of the family were able to spend time together. Know that your Mom is in our prayers at the Dorn household.

Sarah D said...

Sounds like a WONDERFUL weekend.

Thanks for the update. We are all still praying for you!

Jess said...

Sounds like you all had a great weekend. Thanks for sharing it with us. We continue to keep you all in our prayers!

Christina said...

Amanda, I am glad your family got the time they needed this weekend. And your mom was able to go camping and to the beach. Those are memories will last a lifetime. I will keep praying for you, your mom, and your family.

Betsy R said...

Amanda it sounds like a memorable weekend. You are in our prayers.

Aunt Judy said...

Amanda, your Mother is in our prayers. I'm so glad you were all able to get together over the weekend. I'm sure it brought her so much joy.

Hugs and kisses to my little man.

Unknown said...

I hear the weekend was a wonderful memory. Remain strong; we love you both.

Always,
Stephanie

Dawn said...

Amanda-
I am so happy to hear that you and your mom had a fab time. Those will be memories you will cherish forever.

Make sure to take lots of pics!

I think of you and your mom daily and everytime I do, I send out a little prayer.

Best,
Dawn

Christina said...

Amanda,
Just checking in on ya. Let me know if you need anything. You and your family are in my prayers.