Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Mom Update

I wanted to take the time to update everyone on my mom. She went to see Dr. Wade on Monday. She told him that she almost felt like she needed to be in the hospital because she just didn't feel well. This is when I knew my mom was sick. She DOES NOT want to be in the hospital no matter what. When he checked her blood results her white blood cells and hemoglobin were extremely low. Her bilirubin was also high again. He thought it was best for her to be admitted and have a blood transfusion.

RECAP:
Mom has not been able to take her chemo that has been working for three weeks now. This is due to the fact that she has blood in her urine. When they did a Urinalysis they discovered that she had an Ecoli bladder infection. Because the new chemo can cause severe bleeding she would be unable to take it until the infection and blood was completely cleared up. (this is the chemo that has actually been working).

Back to Monday....Mom still has blood in her urine even though the infection is gone. Dr. Wade suggested they do a Cystocopy to explore her bladder. This will let us know if the new chemo has been irritating her bladder or if she has a polyp there. (pray it is not the latter).

On Monday night mom received two blood transfusions. Her hemoglobin went up, but her wbc went down to 1.8 which is very low. She is on neutropenic isolation (we all have to wear masks to keep from giving her any bugs) until the counts go up. She will have the cysto today sometime to see what may be causing her bleeding. Please pray that they find it is only irritation.

This is really all I know now, but I will try to keep you all updated.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Manda. Thanks for posting the update. I will be praying for her once again...and add her to our prayer list at church. Please keep me updated!

Christina said...

We will keep praying for your mom. You have a big Blog world support system. Let us know if you need anything!

Dawn said...

Prayers are going your way! Stay strong.

Rebekah said...

she is on our church prayer list.. we will pray, pray, pray..

hang in there!
love ya!

Sarah D said...

Thanks for the update. I will pray for strength for you, your Mom, and the rest of your family.

Aubrey said...

Hope you keep positive thoughts and encouraging words for your mom - my mom also has her in her thoughts. Take Care!!

Nancy said...

I am keeping your mom and family in my prayers.

Jamee said...

Amanda, I may be mistaken, but her WBC may have went down because of the blood transfusion, depending on when they did the test. Is she bleeding from anywhere else? I will be thinking about her.

Jess said...

We continue to pray for your mom and family. Thanks for the updates. I have been thinking about her a lot lately. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

Betsy R said...

We will be praying for her and for the rest of your family.