Saturday, February 28, 2009

What to do

So here's the deal. Nick has been sick....ALOT! We honestly thought it was because of adjusting to daycare. Don't get me wrong, most of his illnesses are. Well about three weeks ago, Nick developed a cough that just would not go away. He also had a lymph node that was quit large and would not go away. He had this swollen node for almost three months. The Nurse Practitioner had told me that it may take awhile to go away, but if it was still there in a couple of months to come back. Well I went back and the Doctor not LNP told me everything was fine. She also found a few more that were swollen. Anyways, the very next week Nick continued to have a very deep, nonproductive cough. It sounded horrible. I called to make him an appointment. Once again I had to see the LNP. No problem. FLASHBACK: Last summer Nick had pneumonia. The only way the found out was because they had to do a chest x-ray. So back to the story. I took Nick in and expressed my concerns. He is coughing, not eating well, irritable, has to sleep propped up, has swollen lymph nodes and just isn't acting himself. She checks his ears, nose, throat, lungs. She tells me he is just fine probably just a virus going around that we can't do anything for anyway. I tell her about the pneumonia episode we had back in the summer and how the only way we could tell was through x-ray. She says his lungs sound fine it will just have to run its course. (this is on Wednesday) On Saturday, Nick begins to run a fever. It was anywhere from 99.9 to 101. I gave him the Motrin/Tylenol cocktail (not at the same time of course) and it would help for a little while. He continued to run a fever for the next few days. His appetite was nothing and he was extremely grouchy. On Wednesday daycare called and said he was just not himself and was running a fever of 101.5 and he wouldn't even touch his lunch. Ryan picked him up and I tried to get an appointment with his doctor. Of course they wanted us to see the LNP and they couldn't get us in until the next day. I made the appointment and told them I wanted to see the Doctor. While Ryan had him at home, he gave him Motrin. In two hours his temp did not even go down. He took him to Children's hospital. When they got there his temperature was 103. Ryan told them about the episode of pneumonia the past summer and FINALLY they got a chest x-ray. Nick has pneumonia in his upper right lobe. How do you miss that. I feel horrible for not taking him to Children's three weeks ago. The reassured us that the lymph nodes were not a big deal because he has been sick and that with children they can take a long time to go away. I am glad to finally know what is that has been making him so sick. I just hope it is finally going to go away. I am just so confused about what to do with my Doctor...really her LNP. This is the second time in a year that she has missed pneumonia in my child. It is not even that she missed it, it is the fact that I told her that he had to have a chest x-ray last time to find it and that he was presenting with all of the same symptoms. Should I bring this up with my doctor or just let it go? I am really on the fence here!

10 comments:

sjaxn said...

If it were me I would definitely tell the doctor. You are paying his office for a service that you do not feel is adequate. That in my book means time to bitch! Poor Nick! He's lucky that you knew better than to agree that it was just a virus.

Anonymous said...

I can sympathize, Logan is sick ALL the time as well! I say talk to your Dr.- You are the parent and truely know when something is not right.

paige said...

Put your big girl panties on and raise some hell! Since I've turned 40, I don't give a rat's a-- who I piss off! When it comes down to our children's health, we're the only one's who can stand up and speak for them. Listen to your heart and speak with your voice!

Ashley and Evan said...

I think you need to say something to your doctor or find a new one. To me that is a huge oversight. What if it were something worse than that? I hope Nick gets better real soon.

Megan said...

If it was me I would tell the doctor and then ask for his records and find a new doctor. A friend of mine's little boy had the same thing twice. Her new doctor explianed to her since he has had it twice and it could have been prevented the chance of him developing asthma and other issues are higher. That is something that should not be taking lightly. I would be very upset. When it comes to my kids though nobody messes with them RRR:)

Emily Volkman said...

I would be pev'd ..I and
i would just maybe in an FYI way of telling the doctor,,,hey,, this is the 2nd time your lnp messed up...I plan on seeing you from now on..if that is a problem..we will go somewhere else.it's your $$ and your kid,, you get to pick what you want!!:) Maybe I'm being a "b",,but that could of really gotten out of hand,,

Jamee said...

Call me on my cell.

Dawn said...

Definitely tell the doctor. And good luck! I completely get the the sick tot thing!

mylifeastina said...

I would most certainly tell my dr and I would call the manager/owner of the office if it is a multi dr practice. I am glad he will start to feel better with the right medicine!

On a side note, I am a licensed cosmetologist! I was at the show on Sunday!

mylifeastina said...

I would definitely call the dr and the owner/manager of the practice if it is a multi-dr practice. I am glad he will start feeling better with the right medicine.

On a side note, I am a license cosmetologist and I was at the show on Sunday!