Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease


Just the title of this virus sounds dirty doesn't it?! Well Nick has it. He had a fever for a few days, which was really abnormal for him. When his fever didn't go away, I called the doctor. I was concerned that maybe he had an ear infection. Well needless to say his ears checked out just fine. She did however notice blisters in his mouth and throat and on the inside of his cheeks. (Why did I not notice this?) When the doctor informed me that he had hand foot and mouth disease I wondered if it was because of something I did not clean well enough....well its not. It is just a virus that is contagious to other children. I guess he must have picked it up somewhere when we were around other kids. I am not too sure when that would be considering he is not in daycare. Oh well the Doc prescribed him "Magic Mouthwash" so that we can numb his mouth in order for him to eat because the blisters make it very painful. Do you know how hard it is to get a 21 month old to swish and spit mouthwash? IMPOSSIBLE. Hopefully he doesn't get a drug overdose from all the magic mouthwash he has consumed. By the end of this I may need my own "Magic Mouthwash"!

7 comments:

Jamee said...

Oh, poor boy. I feel sorry for him, they look like they hurt. Get Well Nick!!

Anonymous said...

Poor Little Buddy.

Sarah D said...

Is that a picture of Nick's hand?

Hopefully this won't last long or happen again!

Amanda M said...

This isn't Nicks hand, but this is what the inside of his mouth looks like. His hands and feet have a few blisters. Hopefully they won't get that bad.

Christina said...

I feel so bad for Nick! Poor kiddo! I hope he gets better soon!

Rebekah said...

Poor guy!! my kids have had that too! it really stinks!!

sdara said...

My 4 month old was diagnosed yesterday 7/2/08 w/ hand, foot and mouth. It is a terrible virus! My three yr old started fever yesterday. The nurse is calling in the magic mouthwash for her. Unfortunately, my 4 month old is too little to take anything but Tylonol. I am having a hard time keeping him hydrated. If he doesn't start taking his bottle, we will need to take him to Children's Hospital for IV fluids. Both my children stay at home w/their grandmother...However, she took all the grandchildren to Chucky Cheese's last Friday.